IB Diploma Programme
These students needed a diploma that would allow them entry to universities both in their "home" country or elsewhere in the world if that was their desire.
AIS has offered the International Baccalaureate programme since 1976. From that time student success rate on final examinations confirms the value of the International Baccalaureate Diploma programme at AIS.
What is the IB Diploma Curriculum?
IB Diploma candidates are required to study six subjects: three subjects are taught at Higher Level (HL), the remaining three at Standard Level (SL). While it is possible to take four subjects at Higher Level, this is not recommended. HL courses represent a minimum of 240 teaching hours, while SL courses require at least 150 hours, over the course of two years. One subject is chosen from each of the groups below:
In addition to the courses mentioned below each Diploma candidate must participate in the Theory of Knowledge (ToK) course and Creativity/Activity/Service (CAS), as well as undertake a personal research project of 4000 words, known as the Extended Essay. The unique characteristics of TOK, CAS and the Extended Essay qualify them to receive the IB Diploma. DP Courses also count toward meeting AIS requirements for a High School Diploma.
- Group 1: Language and Literature
- Group 2: Language Acquisition
- Group 3: Individuals and Societies
- Group 4: Sciences
- Group 5: Mathematics
- Group 6 or Electives: Arts
A first language (Language A) course chosen from English, Dutch, French, or tutored in the student's mother tongue. Students have the option of taking either a Literature course or a Language and Literature course in English; Dutch is only available as Language and Literature, French only as Literature.
A second language course. This language could be:
- Language B: a second language course for students who have studied the language for a minimum of two years, chosen from Dutch, French or English.
- Language ab initio: a second language course for students new to language or with a basic background in that language. We offer Spanish ab initio. Ab initio courses are SL only.
- A second Language A.